1.29.2009

me me me me me

There is a little meme floating around facebook where you share 25 random facts about yourself. Then you’re supposed to tag 25 of your friends so you all can share and know all sorts of random facts about everyone. Fun. Timewasting, and everyone likes to talk about themselves all the time, right?

Right.

So here are 25 “random” facts about me.

25. I get along really well with my brother. I often feel as if he’s the only person who truly understands my sense of humor and is never offended by it. We are especially ridiculous when we are together and feeling mischievous. Take this little message we sent our cousin as an example” “M, This is K and C…aka the Moscow Richards…aka the progeny of the Superior Richards Son…aka KriCon. We are HIGHLY offended by the post on Cousin A’s wall that insinuates we Moscow folk are not of the norm. We believe you are all mere mortals and simply aspire to our height of greatness. Indeed. Toughen up buttercup.” Seriously. I’m pretty sure we’re the only two people on the planet who find that funny.

24. I watch shows like “My Super Sweet 16” and am flummoxed by them. Who are these kids? Who raises their kids to be such nasty egomaniacs? Who lets their kids treat them like garbage? Shows like this make me never want to have children, and make me think that if I ever do have children then they will feel very very unspoiled.

23. Horror movies scare me. Tense movies scare me. I think I might have an overactive imagination. My mind tends to dwell on things (all things really) and scary/tense images from movies pop up in my dreams. After I saw the movie “Body of Lies” I had nightmares about being tortured for a week.

22. Sometimes I’m astounded that I actually live in Portland. This mostly happens when I’m driving home at night along Naito Parkway and I watch downtown as I pass. It’s a surreal feeling that usually passes by the time I’ve hit the Beaverton-Hillsdale Highway. But weird nonetheless.

21. Those clear.com adds make me incredibly irrationally angry. Something about the green and the “this is not a bus stop” just irritates me and I see tiny flashes of red whenever I pass one.

20. Microbiology was one of my favorite classes in college. There was something so satisfying about identifying those tiny clusters of microbes, and though I spilled an entire bottle of Gram’s iodine all over my lab coat, doing Gram stains were my favorite. I even contemplated switching my degree to Medical Technology instead of nursing. In retrospect, I’m glad I didn’t.

19. Everytime I go to Starbucks I get the same quote. It’s the one about commitment. I can’t decide if this is just a massive coincidence or if the universe is trying to tell me something.

18. Speaking of commitment, I’m massively commitment phobic. This is a relatively new development in my personality, and I’m sure it stems from my already cautious nature. Getting hurt sucks and I’d like to avoid it again at all costs.

17. I love all things Harry Potter. I’m super excited for the next three movies. I’m also really sad that there aren’t any more books to come. Really sad.

16. My parents raised my brother and I with no cable television and they sequestered the PBS only TV to the basement. To this day I still am fascinated by cable television and have a hard time concentrating on anything else when it’s on.

15. Whenever I see an old couple walking down the street or holding hands or anything, my heart melts. I really really really want to be one of those couples someday.

14. As a bizarre combination of really shy and really sarcastic I feel that I often come off as really harsh or elitist. I’m not, I swear. I try really hard to be a nice person because I seem to have no control of what comes flying out of my mouth.

15. I just learned that Mr. Rogers once went to a swimming pool in a speedo. I find this disturbing. However, I loved that show and my favorite one was when he went to the crayon factory.

14. I’m studying for the GRE. I have test anxiety. I have put off registering for the exam because this will kick up my anxiety into full gear and practically make me unbearable to be around, and will prevent me from sleeping. I *know* that I can always retake the exam if I don’t do as well as I would like to, but I have a tendency to expect perfection from myself. And when I don’t attain that perfection, I have a hard time forgiving myself. So, I’d rather just do really well the first time around.

13. I don’t like beer. It makes me gag. And the smell reminds me of urine. So I don’t drink it.

12. I go through phases with food and drink where all I want to eat or drink are certain things. This is most evident in my coffee tastes. Sometimes all I want is straight up drip coffee, sometimes I crave the hazelnut lattes, other times mochas and yet others pumpkin spice lattes. I’m in a drip coffee phase now.

11. I recently dyed my hair. It’s super dark, almost black, and I feel the color suits me better than my natural color.

10. I can’t decide if I think that men and women can be just friends. I have friends that are men, however of these we’ve either had some sort of “tanglement” in the past or they’ve been attached to someone else throughout the duration of our friendship. But I don’t know.

9. Speaking of male-female friendships, I have a tendency to fall for guys who start out as my friend. Call it the Monica-Chandler phenomena or my natural tendency to be guarded until I actually trust someone, but out of the relationships I’ve ever been in only one started out as a “love interest.” And I cut that cord after 6 weeks, so there you go.

8. I want to get a dog. Two dogs actually. I’d name them Clarence and Bernard.

7. I live with two girls I went to high school with. One was one of my best friends during high school, but we weren’t super close during college. The other went to nursing school with me. We have fun.

6. I used to swim for at least 2 hours a day. I haven’t been swimming in six months. I miss it, but hate how awful my body feels when I swim now.

5. I want to be on Cash Cab. I’ve contemplated going to NYC just to accomplish this goal.

4. Reading is my escape. I often have to force myself to be social when I’d rather sit at home and read. If I didn’t, I’d likely be a hermit.

3. I have 26 first cousins. On both sides of the family I am the second oldest grandchild and oldest granddaughter. Both of my parents are the third child in their (large) families and the first of their sex. Both of their birthdays are on the 8th. I enjoy this and like to think it makes my parents “soul-mates”.

2. Despite my loud talk about never having children, the idea isn’t as repulsive to me as it was in the past. I think I’d like to have kids at some point in the future. I even have names that I like. Atticus and Grace.

1. It took me a long time to think of 25 facts to share with the Interweb.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would like to add that you have an uncanny ability to see couplings in people who may not see it themselves, and were the first person to basically call me out on who I'd marry, before we were even really dating! :) So that's something about you that's really interesting as well.