7.06.2009

but it's a national holiday!

Blargh.

This is how I feel.  Between negotiating rental applications, and hope hope hoping that we get this (super! amazing! wonderful! perfect!) apartment, attempting to figure out a possible moving timeline in an already very busy month, and doing my best not to drown in a pool of sweat, I feel like blargh.

Well, the weather is lending me a hand today, as it's only 65. And everyone has been very helpful and cooperative when negotiating between our current rental management and (possible) future landlord.

How was everyone's 4th? Mine was lovely. A little warm, but lovely.  The weekend started out with a bang on the 3rd.  We went to see "The Empire Strikes Back" at the Baghdad, a midnight show.  Oh man do I love Star Wars. Wait, scratch that, I love the original Star Wars. But holy smokes Interweb, you should have seen the costumes people were wearing.  Quite impressive. And I was informed by Dan that the lightsabers they were all carrying were the "good" models and cost upwards of $100. So they were dedicated fans.  Oh and let me tell you, if you want to hear some interesting movie talk, go to Star Wars with two men whose lives and livelihoods essentially revolve around film.  I think there was a stretch of 45 minutes where I couldn't add anything to the conversation because I had no idea what the heck they were talking about.  But it was interesting.

I kept quoting Empire on the 4th, most likely to to consternation of Kasi.  But she put up with me, and we went to a BBQ out in deep SE PDX, and sat in the shade in a wonderful backyard and had a nice little time.  Then we came back to the apt and proceeded to lie on the couches and pretended to be Jordan and Daisy.   We had no Tom or Nick (or Jay) to fan us or cater to our everyneed, but it was still fantastic.  

Evening festivities comprised of mojitos and fireworks.  The mojitos were tasty and refreshing.  The fireworks were amazing.  Fireworks always make me feel like a little kid.  They're just so amazing and wonderful.  And the view from Mt. Tabor offered breathtaking views of so many different shows across the metro area.  It was great.  After the fireworks Chris and I went back to have more mojitos.  Possibly a mistake.  Three mojitos, as it turns out, is far too many.  Like 2 to many.  Oh well, lesson learned.  My 22 year old self is ashamed of my 26 year old self though.  Meh. And to think of all those years when I boasted of never getting hangovers.  Karma is a bitch my friends.  

And here is a "patriotic" poem by Sharon Olds: 

Topography
by Sharon Olds

After we flew across the country we
got into bed, laid our bodies
delicately together, like maps laid
face to face, East to West, my
San Francisco against your New York, your
Fire Island against my Sonoma, my 
New Orleans deep in your Texas, your Idaho
bright on my Great Lakes, my Kansas
burning against your Kansas your Kansas
burning against my Kansas, your Eastern
Standard Time pressing into my
Pacific Time, my Mountain Time
beating against your Central Time, your
sun rising swiftly from the right my
sun rising swiftly from the left your
moon rising slowly from the left my
moon rising slowly from the right until
all four bodies of the sky
burn above us, sealing us together,
all our cities twin cities,
all our states united, one
nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

No comments: