7.29.2008

Perfection

I did a Google search of the term “perfect moment” earlier this evening. Among the various hits for wedding and other special occasion photography sites, was one explanation of a perfect moment that I really enjoyed. Here it is:
“A perfect moment is an experience with others when time stands still. It is a time full of the present, when the past is left behind and the future is set aside. It is a special time of focused attention and heightened awareness….All that matters is this moment—the people [you] are with and the conversation [you] are having now.”

Perfect moments don’t come around often. Some people try to make them happen, and one would only assume that they often fail. Perfect moments aren’t made, aren’t forced…they’re not created they seem to just happen.

I’ve only experienced one perfect moment in my life.

I turned 25 last February. I am fortunate enough to have a birthday that routinely falls during President’s Day weekend, and so this year some friends and I decided to get out of the city for the weekend. We went to a tiny little resort town on the Oregon Coast, Manzanita, and spent the day playing on the beach.

At sunset we had finally checked into our hotel, which had a balcony that was literally overlooking the beach, and we opened a bottle of wine. Music was turned on and the four of us sat on the balcony to watch the sunset. It was a perfect moment. A beautiful soul song came on, the four of us simply sat there and watched the sunset and for a moment life was perfect. I couldn’t imagine anything more that I wanted or needed.

Perfect.

No comments: